Sunday, February 25, 2007

Blogging is good for the Soul

I was discussing blogging with my mom the other day, more specifically that I have a blog that since creating I have tried to update regularly. I was telling her how good for me this blog has been, as opposed to the private journal I have kept.
I have been a faithful journal keeper since I was 9 ... sometimes more faithful than others, but there is at least one entry per month from the time my brother bought me a journal for my ninth birthday. For a young womens project I transferred all my hand written journals onto computer disks and re-printed them out in tidy binders. I kept a few of the original journals so if Ms. R wants to look back on them she can see how mommy wrote when she was her age, ect
I was looking back on a few of my journals the other day and realized that my journal has become an outlet of anguish, anger, frustration and ... nothing good since I've been married. Not that good things haven't happened since I've been married - I have two beautiful children, I've traveled to fun places, I've seen more plays, concerts and symphonies than the average person, day to day funny things have occurred ... But when I pour myself out in my private journal, it's like an internal throw up of all that's gone wrong and I am expunging it from my system. On one hand, this is fantastic. On the other hand, this is terrible because it appears that nothing has gone right in the last 7 years.
That is why a public blog is good ... it's forcing me to look at my day and find what is good. Heaven forbid everyone (or maybe no one ... depending on if anyone actually reads this)read about all that's bad in my life - that'd be a really crappy blog. In any case, I am enjoying looking at what is good about my life. Thus far it hasn't been too much of a challenge to find something almost everyday. Just a nice break at the end/beginning of my day.

No comments: