Saturday, November 15, 2008

Well Hello, Lover

Not you. YOU. Yes, you know who you are. Taunting me with your soft firmness, enchanting me with your sweetness, treating me right just when I need you.
Apple Crumble, I love you. And here's the recipe that explains why:
(Meant to serve Four. But never makes it past two in my house)
Innards:
2 c tart apples, peeled, cored and sliced thin
1 T water
1 t lemon
Sprinkling of cinnamon
2 t butter
Topping:
chocolate chips
1/4 c peanut butter (possibly a little less)
1/4 c rolled oats
1/4 c brown sugar
2 T flour
1/4 t cinnamon

Stir all the top ingredients except the butter. Place it in a 2 Q baking dish. Or a bread pan - that's what I prefer. Dot the top with butter.
Mix together all the top ingredients except chocolate chips. A pastry blender would work best, but I don't own one ... so I just use two forks and work it like the devil till it's crumbly.
Spread it over the top of the apples then sprinkle the chocolate chips on top of that.
Place it in preheated (350) oven for about 25-50 minutes till apples are tender.

I usually cut the topping almost in half to make it less sweet. I love baked apples ... but also love the crunchy topping. So it's a win win. However, for people like my brother who LOVE apple pie, peanut butter and chocolate ... I think I would leave it full flavor.

1 comment:

The Nice One said...

Mmm, that looks good. It's nice that apples FINALLY look good here in Texas! I bought a huge bag of them yesterday just because they smelled so darn good.

I think I'll cook this up next week when I have the houseful for Thanksgiving!!!