Thursday, March 13, 2008

*Lost Boys*

The librarian at Rhiannon's school is part of a book club. She always tells me all about the books the are involved in and suggests I read various "goodies". A while back they were reading the book "Lost Boys" by Orson Scott Card, she was inspired to talk to me about it because we have discussed our religions and the main family in the book is Mormon. She really encouraged me to read this book, I kind of agreed half heartedly, not really wanting to read it after she had described it to me. However, when she was done she rented from her public library again with the express purpose of borrowing it to me. Feeling guilty enough for showing interest in a book that even from the description I was repelled by, I broke down and read it.
About a Mormon family (that fact plays a roll in various characters lives - though never depicts the religion in a bad light) who moves to a southern town for a job. The events that play out through the book leave a mother who is already paranoid even more paranoid of the world in general. If you like creepy books and endings so sad you're weeping copious amounts ... this book is for you.

5 comments:

mom said...

books are supposed to leave you feeling good even if they're sad through part of it. Enough of real life is sad you don't need to read about it

Jenie said...

definitely doesn't sound like one that I would like.

Dawn said...

You do know that Orson Scott Card is a staunch Mormon ...right?? He would NEVER write anything that would show the church in a negative light. Michael and I read his Ender series when we were younger, Uncle Ron gave us the first book to keepus out of his hair during a visit. I don't think he realized that the author is LDS or I am sure he would never have read it=) but I love his books.

Dawn said...

You do know that Orson Scott Card is a staunch Mormon ...right?? He would NEVER write anything that would show the church in a negative light. Michael and I read his Ender series when we were younger, Uncle Ron gave us the first book to keepus out of his hair during a visit. I don't think he realized that the author is LDS or I am sure he would never have read it=) but I love his books.

Unknown said...

If you want a really good OSC book, I would highly recommend "Stone Tables". Gives you a whole new insight into the life of Moses and makes him seem real. It's a good'n.