Thursday, May 1, 2008

Intuition? or Lazy? You decide.

So ... this afternoon I had to run out and get a few things for supper. I generally go to Market Street over by my gym because they have the best meat and vegetables selection. As I was heading out the door ...
Wait, before I continue, I should back track and explain the situation. My truck has been without an engine since ... let's say, Christmas when it threw a rod, among other very pleasant things. Jerry and his dad have slowly been finding parts and building a new engine. Not nearly as easy as it should be with a truck that the manufacturer is embarressed to have built (makes getting hold of the parts that much harder). Finally, this last weekend they finished the project and I had my truck back. However, Tuesday as I was driving around I noticed that neither the brake light or battery light went all the way off. I mentioned this to Jerry, then yesterday the A/C went out. If I lived in Alaska, this may not be such a big deal. But I live in Texas. We're already up into the 80's (high 20's for my Canadian counterparts) so no A/C is TERRIBLE! So he took apart the alternator last night (with much swearing on his part, a small spat on our part, and some groaning on my trucks part). Seemingly had it fixed this morning before I took Ms. R to school. Fast forward to this afternoon ...
"as I was heading out the door ..." I thought, "Maybe I should just go over to Tom Thumb. Shorter distance, less gas ..." internal struggle over distance verses quality. Distance won out.
As we approached the store my radio cut out twice, which I found weird. But nothing else stuttered in the car. So I passed it off. The kids and I grabbed a few groceries and headed back out to the truck. Key in ignition, turn ... nothing. Nothing at all. Try again. Nothing again. *sigh* Call Jerry, no answer (nothing new there). Gathered up the perishable food items, gave the kids each a bag to carry and headed home on foot.
Compare a little over 1/5 a mile (a little more than a kilometer) to 4 miles (6 1/2 km's) walking with two small children. One of whom has to rest like three times on our walk home from her school - a little more than a mile from here. I am soooo glad that I took the shorter distance over quality this time! Even though the meat won't be as fresh - I didn't have to carry bags of food AND a 40 pound kid on my shoulders.

3 comments:

Jenie said...

Oh No! Thankfully you were lazy and didn't feel like straying too far from home today.

TinaLaRae said...

I believe that would be intuition! You are not a lazy person. Hope everything get fixed, the right way this time. *wink*

mom said...

any comments from Jerry like maybe sorry honey, I think its time I got you a RELIABLE vehicle.. What happens when you're coming up here is it gonna be okay or leave you stranded???