Friday, September 18, 2009

Weirdo

Today as I was doing some tasks for the kindergarten teachers I had a lot of time for my brain to wander while my hands were busy.
I started contemplating why my first urge while preparing for the day is to pull my hair back into a pony tail. Even on my wedding day - I had it up. Because I didn't want to have to fuss with it. On the day you're supposed to fuss!
While I was growing up, I know why I always pulled it back: Because it was convenient. Because it was always windy where we lived and I hate having my hair in my face. Because it was easy. Because I had no idea how to deal with my unruly/curly/fuzzy hair. Because I didn't want to have to wake up that extra 20 minutes earlier in the morning to deal with it.

All fairly valid excuses. For a kid.

What's my excuse now? Why is my first inclination to grab an elastic as I'm getting ready?

I know I look better with my hair down. I know it will only take me an extra 3 minutes to scrunch in some "product" after my shower. I know there is only a small chance the wind will be blowing hard enough to interfere with the placement.

When it comes down to it, it's not really about my hair.

At least I don't think so.

Most of the time.

It's about control and my essential lack thereof.

There are very few areas in my life that I am "The Boss".

The end all of be all.

The Buck Stops Here gal.

When my hair isn't contained ... I don't feel completely together.

I feel a little off kilter.

A little on the edge.

I have a lot of these little quirks.

Things I know make me an odd ball inside.

Deep Deep down inside.

4 comments:

mom said...

12:08 a.m. Why are you still awake???

Dawn said...

uummmm sure, deep down...if by that you mean right out there in your face=) Quirks...you make me laugh.

Sally said...

I refer you back to my post about school pictures and needing a new hair style. I LOVE the convience of curly hair, but there really isn't much you can do with it. Long and layered, which looks wonderful in a pony tail! Change if you want to, don't if you like it. That's what I say.

A. said...

I can relate.....being a fellow quirk. And a fellow frizz-head. My hair is mostly up too. A word of advice. NEVER get bangs. HUUUUUUUUUUGE curly hair mistake. I'm just sayin'