Wednesday, November 18, 2009

While the Cat's Away

I use to HATE Sponge Bob Square Pants. Thought he was inappropriate, rude, crude, silly and just plain wrong. My kids WERE NOT to be caught watching it, if it was on Nick - they were to turn the channel as quickly as humanly possible. I was as steadfast in that rule as my mom was about "The Simpsons" while I was growing up.

Then I went on that little trip to Vancouver last February ... and all moms rules went out the window.
"Can we have pop tarts three meals a day, dad?"
"Sure! Sounds good."
"Can we play out front with no adult supervision dad?"
"Sounds like a good plan to me!"
"Can we watch Sponge Bob till our eyes bug out of their sockets, dad?"
"Go ahead, but don't you DARE tell your mother!"

I try to portray a united front to the kids when it comes to "rules" and "exceptions" and what not. I try to encourage involvement on all fronts. So when he lets the kids do something I forcefully object to - I take a step back and breathe deeply. Take a look and see if maybe I was just being a little ... over board.

I still won't let the kids get the toys or watch it when I'm not around. But we've found quite a few moments of laughter together while watching that silly show.

1 comment:

mom said...

there's a difference between funny and STUPID!!!!!