Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Shepherd's Pie

Taken from the Food Network, Rachel Ray, infact.
My daughter is in love with her.
So I figured one of her recipes couldn't go wrong.
My only issue with this recipe?
There wasn't nearly enough.
I had a healthy serving ... then between Jerry and the girl the cleaned the dish.
An 8x8 dish.
And then they complained there wasn't more.
No kidding.
Next time I'll double it.

2 lbs Potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 T Sour Cream or softened Cream Cheese
1 lg Egg yolk
1/2 c Cream (I used Chicken Broth - I always have some on hand and it's "lighter")
Salt and Pepper
1 T Olive Oil
1 3/4 lbs Ground Beef or Lamb (Lamb? Really? ...)
1 Carrot, shredded (shredding is optional. I did it so it blended easily with the beef)
1 Onion, chopped
2 t Butter
2 T Flour
1 c Beef Stock or Broth
2 t Worcestershire (or more, depending on how "British" you want it to taste. Haha!)
1/2 c frozen Peas (I omitted these, as I am the only one who eats "green" food around here)
1 t Paprika
Parsley Leaves/Flakes
Shredded Cheese (I don't really consider it optional ... but you can)

Have all of your ingredients measured out before you start. I found once I got it going it all happened pretty quickly and it was easier to simply have it all waiting than have to scramble to measure stuff out.
Boil potatoes in salted water until fork-tender. Drain potatoes and pour them into a bowl. Combine sour cream, egg yolk and cream(broth). Add the cream (broth) mixture into potatoes and mash until potatoes are smooth.
While potatoes boil, preheat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add oil to hot pan with beef/lamb. Season meat with salt and pepper. Brown and crumble meat for 3 or 4 minutes. Add carrot and onion to the meat. Cook veggies with meat 5 minutes, stirring frequently. In a second small skillet over medium heat cook butter and flour together for 2 minutes. Whisk in broth and Worcestershire sauce. Thicken gravy 1 minute. Add gravy to meat and veggies. Stir in peas.
Preheat broiler to high. Fill a casserole dish with meat and veggie mixture. Spoon potatoes over meat evenly. Top potatoes with paprika and broil 6-8" from heat until potatoes are evenly browned and slightly crusty. Top casserole with cheese, melt. Sprinkle with parsley. (I forgot that part)

1 comment:

mom said...

looks yummy I love Sheppards Pie. Can I print just the recipe?