Thursday, April 26, 2007

My Gran


It has occurred to me in the past few years how narrowly I looked at adults when I was a kid. How little I really knew about the family I was in.
For instance: My grandma Winnifred Alice Bentley Jones. When I was a kid, she just happened to be married to one of my most favorite men - my Grump - Joesph Wesley Jones. I'd go to their house for weeks at a time in the summer. The weeks were filled with various activities; fishing, stripping/painting the deck, card games, garage saling ... All the activities, I did with my Grump. Gran would stay at home, or go out with her friends - I am not sure which. We'd all converge again for supper. I'd clean up, my grump and I would start badgering eachother again as my gran ... did her thing. It wasn't that I didn't like her, I think I was intimidated by her. I never knew what to say, what to do. I always felt awkward around her.
Three years ago I came up to Canada for four months and stayed with my Dad and Gran. In that four months, I got to know this rambunctious, funny, blunt, sweet lady better than I had in all the summers I spent at her house.
She never let me win at games when I was young, so the first time I scored over 200 in Scrabble - I was eleted, and she was proud of me. I now TROUNCE her in Scrabble. Excellent.
She is always full of stories. I have never wondered how she feels about anything. You ask her - she'll tell you. Ha. Half the time, you don't even have to ask.
She really loves her kids, grandkids, great grandkids. I have taken to calling her from time to time, just to check in. Before we hang up, she always tells me she loves me, everytime. I know she means it just because of how she says it.
I'm proud to be the granddaughter of such a fiesty ol' lady, I adore her.

3 comments:

Jenie said...

What a great post! I love Grandma Win. She truly is one of the funniest, most interesting people I have gotten to know.

Anonymous said...

It's kinda funny to think of the girl who spelled 'motor' m-o-t-e-r as trouncing anyone in Scrabble... :)

Even more funny was that no one else noticed until I pointed it out (I won't mention Jenie's name here).

Anonymous said...

Find me a good online Scrabble game, and I'll take a shot at the title :)

I, too, have a grandma who routinely whooped my butt at Scrabble. She used to do chores around the house while she waited for me to take my turn. Then she'd sit down, look at her letters for 20 seconds and use all 7 on a triple-word and go back to cleaning while I took another 10 minutes planning my move.

We could wait until you're up again, if you're up to the challenge :)