Sunday, February 7, 2010

"Are You the Tooth Fairy?"


She asks me.
I freeze. Dread pours through me.
I can distinctly remember being told be a certain someone (we won't name any names will we? You know who you are.) that Santa wasn't real and how devastating that was to me. Was I ready to introduce my daughter to that same pain? Was I willing to put my daughter through that feeling of deceit?
So I continued cautiously.
"Why do you ask, baby?"
"Kimberly told me that her parents are the tooth fairy; she saw them taking her tooth."
"What do you think of that?"
"I don't know what she'd lie. So it's probably okay."
"Would you be okay with me being a tooth fairy too?"
"Yeah, I would like that."
"You would?"
"Yeah, that makes you magical!"
I puzzle over this silently until I notice her eyeing me up.
"What's the most magical part?"
"Where do you keep your wings? How did you know you were a tooth fairy? Do you shrink? Do you really build cities with my teeth?"

While I totally appreciate her acceptance of magic and all things special and sweet ... it kind of concerns me that this was the conclusion she came to.
Not that I have been lying to her.
But that some how I "fairy up".
Bless her soft, sweet heart.

I told her we have to keep this a secret, that no other kid should find out the "truth" about the tooth fairy from her ... And she thinks it's the greatest thing ever.

5 comments:

mom said...

you handled it wonderfully, don't worry about Miss R she'll be fine

Unknown said...

So where do you hid your wings? ;) I love that my cousin can "fairy it up"!

Jenie said...

That's awesome...what a creative, imaginative, little girl.

The Bui's said...

Magic! Well I have always thought that you were quite magical. Maybe you could use those wings to fly over for a visit sometime.

Krista said...

Stacy - I OF COURSE hide my wings under my scapula's. It's magic, you know.

Nancy - It seems to me every time I power up my wings you're in flight also. We HAVE TO stop "just missing" each other!